S.A.L.E.- Cutting

Feb 9- 15, 2015


Genie Images, photographers, San Antonio, Texas, equine photographers, portrait photographers
S.A.L.E. Cutting by San Antonio Texas Equine Event Photographers Genie Images

Thanks to Marilyn Hazen of the Horse Gazette, I was lucky enough to secure a Media Pass for the 2015 San Antonio Livestock Exposition!

The Mercuria NCHA World Series of Cutting starts off the 19 day extravaganza.  Lot's of cattle, horses, and cowboys/cowgirls filled 3 areas of the arena.  I hung out at the pens to get a feel of the event and the folks that were involved.  Lot's of smiling faces, relaxed atmosphere, and superior working horses.

Cutters at this event appeared to be 100% American Quarter Horse.  These horses knew their jobs and their riders did not hesitate to grab horn to keep up with these fast and agile atheletes. I loved the "ears up" attitude these horses had for their job.  They really enjoyed heading into the cattle, sorting one from the herd, and then doing his/her best to keep that solo cow from heading back to his herd. 

Looking thru the lens . . . I spied someone I knew, Denise Blanchard (not her last name now because she is married).  I looked a little harder and sure enough, her mother Joan Blanchard was in the stands prepared to watch her daughter perform later in the day.  Seeing the Blanchards brought back such great childhood memories of my early days with the great horse trainer, Walter Chapman and Chappy Ranch.  The Blanchards were long standing clients and friends of Chappy's; they were all family.

As my smile got larger, Denise and Joan waved me over and we caught up on current equine events.  Denise had to go on her way to support her husband in the show pen.  Joan and I continued to chat and found out she was still operating the Chappy Ranch and told me all about it.  Later, she invited me out to do a photo shoot of the place and of course I said yes.  I only hope I can capture the ranch, both as I remember it and as it is now!

Jeanne Harford
San Antonio Photographer
San Antonio Equine Photographer
San Antonio Event Photographer
Texas Horse Show Photographer
Texas Event Photographer

No comments:

Post a Comment