Noticing Nature 

May 4-10, 2015 


Genie Images, Jeanne Harford, equine photographers, event photographers, San Antonio photographers,horses, horse photography, Texas equine photographers
Nature San Antonio Texas Equine Event Photographer Genie Images


As an equine event photographer in San Antonio, I am out in the elements at every shoot.  It is part of the allure of my new profession and of my past profession as a horse trainer/instructor.  I find I am at my happiest when I am in a field- whether it is sunny or drizzling, whether it is hot or cold, whether I am surrounded by people or alone.  The amazing thing about nature is that it is everywhere . . . you just have to stop and look.

Some days, I will sit with my camera for hours just watching for movement or color to catch my eye.  It is the funniest thing really, because my husband will ask what I am doing and my reply is always, "nothing".  But . . . it is not nothing . . . it is quite something.  As you are watching, even in the most mundane place, you will see so much life around you.  Tiny bugs making their way with food that is twice the size of their bodies.  Spiders weaving an intricate web under a Sago palm. Carolina Anole lizards puffing out their red dewlap to attract or defend.  And, of course, all the things that fly!

Anyone who knows me, knows that I an enamored with hummingbirds and butterflies.  Not only do I like them visually, I use them to fine tune my photographic skills.  The erratic behavior of these beautiful creatures encourages me to focus and react quicker.  I can imagine Mr. Miyagi is there in the yard with me- wax on, wax off!  I follow the little beauties around the yard, changing my exposure, speeds, and f-stops in the blink of an eye. It takes a lot of practice to stalk and capture these flights of fancy!  The goal is to become consistently accurate with these little guys so that my horse/event photography climbs to a higher level.

Now, birds and butterflies are not easy, but bees are a whole other ball of wax (no pun intended . . . who am I kidding . . . yes it was!).  Bees never really stop moving and even when they seem stopped, they are vibrating.  The image above is bumble bee on thistle and though it is not tack sharp, there was something about this image though that I really liked.  I must have taken 20 images of this darn bee on that gray day.  I tried a little bit of everything and still not perfect.

What is perfect is the memory I will have of this silly, unimportant moment.  I will remember my efforts and my failures.  I will remember how I noticed the color of the thistle against the cedar trees first and the bee second.  I will remember the smell of the barn and sound of the horses munching on their hay.  I will also remember that in a previous time, I spent hours eliminating thistle out of the grazing pastures and now I see it as a thing of beauty.  The journey continues.


Jeanne Harford


San Antonio Photographer
San Antonio Equine Photographer
San Antonio Event Photographer
Texas Horse Show Photographer
Texas Event Photographer

No comments:

Post a Comment