Crossroads Pony Show Apr 27- May 3, 2015

Genie Images, Jeanne Harford, equine photographers, event photographers, San Antonio photographers,horses, horse photography, Texas equine photographers
Crossroads Show San Antonio Texas Equine Event Photographers Genie Images

I got a call from my friend Patty Liarakos about a horse show that needed a judge. Patty knows that I have gone into photography full time, but wondered if I would make an exception for a small show down in Yoakum, Texas.  I asked her about the show and it's staff and she went on to tell me about the wonderful folks and ponies of the  Crossroads Pony Club  I would see on Saturday, and the variety of horses I would see on Sunday.  She assured me that, even though it was a small show, it would be worth my time.  

The show was around the corner and I had piles of homework to do . . . stress mounted.  I decided to take the RV down to Yoakum to park at the show grounds so I would have a private place to rest and get a ton of work done.  It was a beautiful drive down, crossing the Guadalupe River at least twice.  As I pull into the facility I see a couple of young girls waving me to the area to park the RV. They made sure I was settled and off they went to get some rest before 2 full days of showing.  The evening went as planned, homework was attacked, and then I climbed into bed for a great nights sleep.  I don't know what it is . . . but when I sleep in the RV . . . it is the best sleep ever.  About 5am, a gust of wind whipped through the area that seemed like a small tornado.  I hopped up to take a peak, and sure enough, a huge storm was visible across the flat pastures.  The storm came and went and all was well.  But let me just say . . . storms in an RV are not too pleasant.  Reminds me of the old joke, "What is the state bird of Oklahoma . . . . a mobile home!"  

Anyway, the show must go on and so we did.  The show staff was welcoming and joyful.  We chatted and got to know one another and I got the warm feeling that these families were in this together. They worked hard to make this event happen. They worked together to help one another have success.  And they worked tirelessly to make sure the event went off in a timely manner without any major hiccups.  This was going to be a good couple of days.

The show had a little bit of it all:  halter, English, western, equitation, jumping, trail, and many in-hand events for both young and old.  I really enjoyed the in-hand events: jumping, trail, and the races.  The best had to be one particular pee wee handler.  I imagine she was 3 or 4 and had THE MOST adorable white ball of fluff ever.  These two little ones were maxed out on the cute factor!  In one of the races, her trainer ran ahead of her so the little girl would be able to follow her path.  She and that little horse ran their little hearts out with a huge smile on her face the entire time.  When it came to the in-hand jumping for pee wee's, the little duo was back.  Her trainer ran beside her as she led her little horse up to the jump. You could see the little white wonder thinking, "There is no way this kid can make me do this . . . I will do it for her".  The image above is of this moment.  The little girl believing she is making all of this happen and how tremendous her efforts were.  She has heart! 

My friend Patty was right, this little show was totally worth my time.  It reminded me of how important horse/pony clubs are in small communities. Without the thankless efforts of a handful of people (most every time in most every community!) these gatherings would not happen and people would fall out. I commend them on their community building and it restored my faith (a little) in horse clubs.


For more images of this event, please for this link to 2015 Crossroads Pony Show .


Jeanne Harford


San Antonio Photographer
San Antonio Equine Photographer
San Antonio Event Photographer
Texas Horse Show Photographer
Texas Event Photographer

1 comment:

  1. Great read and photo. These smaller shows warm the heart and show the beauty that is community spirit. Congrats to all the competitors and show staff on your success and Thank You to Patty Liarakos for the invitation.

    ReplyDelete