Gulf Coast Arabian Horse Club- Spring Fling
Mar 16-22, 2015

Genie Images, photographers, San Antonio, Texas, equine photographers, portrait photographers
GCAHC by San Antonio Texas Equine Event Photographers Genie Images


Children and horses= happiness!  I took a lot of pictures this last week (beautiful horses and a beautiful woman in studio) but this image just made me smile every time I cruised past it in editing. These two were in the Leadline Division; they get all dressed up, put on the horse, and an adult leads them around the arena as if in a parade.  The children are either beaming from ear to ear or grabbing the horn/pommel in distress.  It does not matter though . . . to their surprise (every . . single . . . time), they win a beauitful blue ribbon and usually some toy or candy.  The rest of the day they wear their show clothes, eat their candy, and have their ribbon tied to a button or belt loop for all to see.

I was photographing the Gulf Coast Arabian Horse Club Spring Fling Open Show in Conroe, TX this last weekend.  The weather had turned to crap with rain, wind, and dropping temps.  It was a slow morning and I decided to grab some lunch at the snack shack on the grounds. I was making my way to get the obligatory concession stand hot dog and I turn to see these two playing.  I watched them for a few minutes and saw how the small things made them giggle with joy; like flicking a tiny pebble back and forth on the bench hoping it does not fall.

They played until a parent called to the girl for the fifth time.  The girl trotted off to sit in the stands and the boy decided to find more dirt and rocks.  By the end of the afternoon, his shiney boots were caked with mud.  His pristine jod pants had chocolate streaks from multiple hand wipes. And the jacket . . . well we just won't go there now will we.  But, it did not matter because it was fun . . . all of it.

I had someone ask me about another picture I had posted with this little boy setting rocks on my leg while shooting.  They wanted to know why the Mom was not patrolling this child.  I told them that a horse show is a village and we are all Mom's for a day.  We all understand how to watch for dangerous moments, school the youngsters on good show manners, and allow them to have freedom to go explore and get into life.  It is a very good thing!

Jeanne Harford
San Antonio Photographer
San Antonio Equine Photographer
San Antonio Event Photographer
Texas Horse Show Photographer
Texas Event Photographer

No comments:

Post a Comment