San Antonio Saddle Horse Association- Spring Show

Mar 2-8, 2015



Genie Images, photographers, San Antonio, Texas, equine photographers, portrait photographers
SASHA by San Antonio Texas Equine Event Photographers Genie Images

One of my favorite horse shows of the year is the annual SASHA spring show.  This has to be my favorite, because it was the very first horse show I ever attended as a child.  I can remember my folks buying tickets to the exhibitor packed event at the Joe Freeman Coliseum.  Back in the 1970's, the show was called the SA Charity Horse Show and was a multi-breed extravaganza.  The energy in the dome was electric as the Saddlebreds, Arabians, Hackneys, Morgans, Tennessee Walkers, and Show Ponies strutted their stuff to wild applause and cheers.  I was hooked!  I rode with Irene Brewer and Buehla Cates to get my saddle seat fix on a weekly basis.

Years passed and horses stayed in my blood.  After I graduated college and came back to San Antonio, I ran into an old high school and showing buddy, Kelly Koger (now Martinez) who was leaving town and needed a replacement instructor for a large riding program.  I had never taught before, but jumped at the chance for employment.  I began working for Trish Broersma in 1988 and found my passion for instruction. We were lucky to have some wonderful horses and clients that energized my teaching; Dianne Pool (in the image above), was one of those amazing folks.  Seeing her in the ring today with this amazing horse, Out of Hand, put a smile on my face and goosebumps on my arms (not to mention a flood of fond memories!).

The American Saddlebred is such a special horse and I am so pleased that this show continues to showcase the breed for everyone to enjoy.  The group that runs the show are long standing members of SASHA and TASHA .  The local barns in our area are  Beasom Stables and Marty Allen Wernle. Marty was recently inducted to the ASB of Tx Hall of Fame!  Over 175 people joined in the awards dinner to celebrate this show, these horses, and the people that support them.

Jeanne Harford
San Antonio Photographer
San Antonio Equine Photographer
San Antonio Event Photographer
Texas Horse Show Photographer
Texas Event Photographer

2 comments:

  1. Forgot all about the show, dang it! Great photos, Jeanne!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Show season is upon us Kathy . . . we will catch one together soon!

      Delete